125 Shattuck Pl.
The Mill is located near Chase Park, off Shattuck place, just a short walk from the downtown Main Street. Built by Colonel Benjamin Godfrey in 1797, the Mill remains almost exactly as it was when it was grinding corn for early Chatham residents. It is a prime example of a post-Revolutionary War commercial venture that served the community for more than one-hundred years.
The Mill originally located overlooking Mill Pond was donated to the Town of Chatham by Mr. and Mrs. Stuart Crocker and moved to its present location in 1956. The Mill was restored for the 300th anniversary of the Town of Chatham in 2012. Today thousands of visitors visit the Mill during the summer season and walk in the steps of many who used the Mill to supply them with corn meal and local gossip. Learn the variety of common phrases that started at the grist mills.
The Mill is open during History Weekend in June.
The Mill opens for the season from late June through September, on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 11:00am -3:00pm. (Closed July 4th). Tours may be cancelled due to rain or severe weather conditions.
During the Creative Arts Festival in August, the Mill is open from 11:00am – 3:00pm and will be operating grinding corn (weather permitting) on Saturday of that weekend.
Throughout the season a variety of activities related to the Mill will be available for children and adults. Please visit our website using the link on this page.