The Godfrey Windmill
A plaque located on Shattuck Place at the back of Chase Park tells the story of the Godfrey Windmill's history.
This wind powered grist mill was built in 1797 by Colonel Benjamin Godfrey on a hill by his home on Stage Harbor Road overlooking the Mill Pond, where it served the growing needs of Chatham residents for corn meal, a staple among early settlers. The Godfrey Windmill is an eight-sided smock type, wind powered grist mill with four sails.
Ownership and Use of the Windmill:
- 1797: Built and operated by Colonel Benjamin Godfrey
- 1819: Owned and operated by Christopher Taylor
- 1850: Cogged wodden wheel and double flanges replaced by iron
- 1869: Purchased by Oliver Eldridge
- 1874: Owned and operated by Zenas Nickerson
- 1908: Owned by charles Hardy
- 1939: Purchased by Stuart Crocker
- 1956: Stuart Crocker donated the Mill to the town and it was moved to its present location
- 1978: Accepted by The Heritage Conservation and Recreation Service for listing in the National Register of Historic Places